Richmond and Worcester remain unbeaten


Published by Scrum Queens, October 25th, 2010

10 minutes read

Try Audio

Richmond and Worcester remain unbeaten

Photography courtesy of John White Media: Cath Spencer and Monica Lewinska up-end Worcester's Rochelle Clarke.

We bring you the latest match reports from the English women's Premiership. SeeHEREfor the current league table.

Lichfield 12 Wasps 20

Having picked up their first win of the campaign last weekend, Wasps travelled to Lichfield confident that their season was really just beginning. With World Cup winning prop, Steph Te Ohaera Fox on their bench, and English scrum-haf Toya Mason back from injury, things are also looking better for the London side's strength in depth.

The home team for their part were hoping to make up for their loss last weekend to league-leaders Richmond, and the opening half hour of this game didn't disappoint with some end to end rugby played.

Both teams relied on their strong rearguards in those early exchanges but it was Wasps who broke the deadlock when their young hooker Davinia Monteiro broke through to touchdown the first score. Lichfield were quick to reply with an excellent offloading passage ending in a try for Becky Williams.

Monteiro though hit back for Wasps with her second try of the day with a smart pick and go to crash over the line and bring the score to 10-5 at the half time whistle.

The second half was played in poor weather but the visitors weren't put off by the conditions as Monteiro picked up her hatrick - getting on the end of an unstoppable catch and drive by the Wasps forwards.

Toya Mason then rounded up the Wasps scoring quickly reacting to a loose ball from the edge of the scrum and making a solid drive over the line.

Lichfield didn't give up though and enjoyed a large amount of possession in the final stages of the game. From a powerful drive close to the line captain Roz Crowley scored the final try of the game which was converted by Vikki Jackson.

For the home side, the performances of the likes of lock Emily Braund will be pleasing while for Wasps Jo McGilchrist caught the eye in the more unfamiliar position of number 8.

OA Saints 0 Richmond 65

It was champions verus newcomers in this clash played under floodlights on Saturday night and the visiting west London side made it clear from the off that they would be ruthless with every chance they got.

Lock Rowena Burnfield grabbed the first score when she crashed over out wide to open the score in in the opening ten minutes. Richmond then capitalised from quick turnover ball as they managed to play a quick wide game and the next three tries came as they they simply out-flanked the Saints defence with a try for full back Jackie Shels and a brace for wing Kay Wilson in a very convincing opening half hour.

The Saints defence then held firm in midfield for a period with the final try of the first half coming fromNo 8 Rebecca Essex crashing over under the sticks with fly half Abi Chamberlain adding the conversion.

Five tries to the good at half time Richmond showed no desire to take their foot off the pedal in the second period. Under pressure, the Saints scrum was solid and they worked hard to gain territory and put pressure on the opposition. However when chances came, Richmond snaffled a number of turnovers and their impressive offloading was too much to handle. Fran Matthews, Rowena Burnfield and Fi Davidson all added to the score line in the opening 10mins of the second half, each converted by Chamberlain.

Slick first phase moves and strong ball carrying saw them drive into the Saints half regularly. However the Saints were not rolling over and time and again great scramble defence saw Richmond frustrated and the onslaught halted for 15mins with no further score from the visitors. More scores were inevitable and late in the half OA tired to see Richmond run in further scores for Davidson, Susie Brown and opening try scorer Burnfield crashing over on 80mins completing her hat trick.

Having faced the top two in the league in the past two weels, Saints will be working hard this week as they search for their first win in this league.

Saracens 25 DMP Sharks 31

Saracens made the long journey up to Darlington Mowden Park Sharks (DMP) lying fourth behind the Sharks, and looking for a win after being narrowly beaten by Wasps last week.

The away team started well, and after 15 minutes of excellent rugby by both teams, flanker Maggie Alphonsi broke through the Sharks line to score the first try of the game. However the Sharks were looking to build on an excellent performance last week, and once again it was captain Katy McLean showing some brilliant individual skill, providing the break through for the home side, running in under the posts and converting her own score to take the Sharks 7-5 up.

This game epitomised the phrase 'end-to-end' rugby, with Saracens coming straight back to score through Leslie Cripps after some excellent forwards pressure and the Sharks immediately replying with some excellent tight play leading to a drop goal by Katy McLean (10-10).

A minute later, Saracens were over the try line again through winger Alma Okafar making the score 10-15, but the Sharks replied immediately once again, Jen Edwards crossing the line and Katy McLean adding a touchline conversion.

The home side were spurred on by more excellent side line support, and on the stroke of half time Katy McLean once again crossed the line, adding another conversion, and leading the Sharks into half time 24-15 up.

DMP came out fighting once again after the break, lock Lindsay Wheeler running some excellent lines, and being rewarded early on in the second half with a try, converted by Katy McLean who was having an immaculate day with the boot. Things looked to be going from bad to worse for Saracens with centre Sarah Ulmer given a yellow card for repeated infringments at the breakdown, however they seemed instead to be spurred on by this decision, scoring two late tries through Kerri-Ann Craddock and Hannah Gallagher (31-25).

This led to a nail biting finish for the home supporters, but the Sharks defence held solid, and they recorded their first win against the Saracens in an impressive game of rugby by both sides.

Bristol 12 - Worcester 27

With six of their players named in England's elite playing squad earlier in the week, Bristol were hoping that their season would kick on after some narrow defeats in recent weeks.

Bristol were without two of these players with both Sophie Hemming and Izzy Noel Smith out nursing foot injuries. The home side started well and enjoyed the lions share of possession in the first half. Their persistance was rewarded when Marlie Packer squeezed over from close in, after good work from skipper Nic Hoole, Kate Newton and Rachel Cork.

Sarah Graham added the extras and Bristol continued to pin Worcester back and they were dominating up front. Monica Lewinska, Gill Bourke and Danika Willmore were excellent in the scrum but crucially the home side were slow to react when the ball was turned over and fine breaks by England players Nollie Waterman and Kat Merchant meant that despite all the effort in the first half Bristol went in to half time down by 3 points after tries by Sam Dale and Merchant.

While the came was tight in the second half, again turnover ball and slow reactions allowed Worcester in for two unconverted scores - Waterman and Rochelle Clarke with these.

At 20-7 down Bristol never looked beaten and throughout the game the home side always looked dangerous when in possession and the astute play of Kim Oliver at flyhalf meant they kept the ball for long periods. Their efforts were rewarded when Nicola Hoole crossed following a lineout drive.

Bristol however conceeded a fifth try in the dying moments of the game when Lisa Campbell scramled over. The Worcester win means that they remain unbeaten and their game against Richmond later next month already looks set to be a classic. Bristol's task gets no easier with Richmond up next.